- Never ask a statement.
- Remember the value of the pause.
- There are no teams in the world called ‘we’ or ‘they’
- Avoid clichés and banalities such as ‘he’s hit that to the boundary’, ‘he won’t want to get out now’, ‘of course’, ‘ as you can see on the screen’.
- The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
- Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
- Concentrate fiercely at all times.
- Above all, don’t take yourself too seriously, and have fun.
Richie Benaud‘s tips for sports commentary.